SPYGLASS – ERCP WITH SPYSCOPE
Mediclinic proudly announces that it is the first private hospital in the UAE to procure the latest innovation in bile duct stones removal and diagnosis of difficult ERCP cases. SpyGlass offers direct visualisation within the ducts for accurate (99-100%) diagnosis and successful management of these cases.
SpyGlass has helped doctors to avoid performing multiple ERCPs on patients with difficult diagnoses. This limits the effects of sedation and burden of multiple procedures on these patients, and also has cut costs for the patient and their insurer.
Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) is a procedure that combines upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and x-rays to treat problems of the bile and pancreatic ducts. SpyGlass is an innovative system that provides unprecedented, direct visualisation of all bile-duct quadrants.SpyGlass, a miniature 6,000-pixel fibre-optic probe is attached to a camera head that manages to gain access to the common bile duct, Interhepatic ducts under direct visualisation.
The SpyGlass can be used as a first‑ or second‑line procedure for the diagnostic and therapeutic management of indeterminate strictures and large stones of the biliary system when standard ERCP has been unsuccessful or is deemed to be inappropriate. The latter may occur if MRI or CT findings indicate that ERCP is unlikely to be successful or the CT and MRI cannot see anything significant while the patient is symptomatic. The SpyGlass requires specialist training: even in the UK, the SpyGlass is only available in specilaised centres.
Studies included in NICE guidelines from representatives of UK clinical practice show that for approximately 80% of patients who needed cholangioscopy with the SpyGlass, there was a significant clinical and cost‑saving benefit compared with the alternative options mentioned above.
The SpyGlass System enables Dr. Mazin Aljabiri, Consultant Gastroenterologist at Mediclinic Parkview Hospital, to potentially secure a definitive diagnosis and perform therapeutic intervention in one procedure.
Cholangioscopy with the SpyGlass is safe: it has never resulted in patient harm.
SpyGlass is used for:
- Gallstones that form in the gallbladder and become stuck in the ducts, impacted common bile duct stones
- Multiple ERCPs with the ability to provide diagnosis or achieve treatment
- Failed previous ERCPs due to strictures within the common bile ducts
- Tumours of the bile duct that are unable to be diagnosed with any CT or MRI
- Polyps within the bile ducts that are misdiagnosed as cancer
- Inflammation due to trauma or illness within the duct that is not seen usually with the traditional ERCP
- Scarring of the ducts, called sclerosis
- Laser therapy for difficult common bile duct stone and cystic duct stones (Mirizzi syndrome)
Please check the below link for more info