The Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) at Mediclinic Airport Road Hospital is a state-of-the-art specialised unit that provides care to critically ill infants, children and adolescents. It is a 24-hour service that operates 365 days a year.
The PICU stabilises and cares for children with a wide variety of medical and surgical problems including those who require ventilator support, intensive monitoring, who present with uncontrolled seizures, breathing difficulties, sepsis, surgical cases, heart conditions, diabetic complications and worsening kidney function amongst many other critical care illnesses.
All the consultants on the unit have Department of Health Abu Dhabi Paediatric Critical Care Medicine licenses which is unique to this hospital in Abu Dhabi.
There are three PICU specialists, one hospitalist and a team of highly skilled nurses with significant international experience in paediatric critical care. The care provided under the PICU is undertaken with the input of our multidisciplinary consultant team which comprises of a paediatric surgeon, paediatric cardiologist, paediatric neurologist, neurosurgeon, paediatric endocrinologist, paediatric gastroenterologist, interventional radiologist, thoracic surgeon, physiotherapist, psychologist and clinical dietician.
We treat children who are critically ill with:
- Asthma, respiratory infections, respiratory failure
- Oncology related critical illness needing support
- Meningitis, encephalitis and intractable seizures
- A wide range of paediatric surgical cases (pre- and post-operative)
- Cardiac failure and congenital heart disease requiring non-surgical interventional procedures
- Neurosurgical conditions
- Kidney failure
The specialised services we provide include:
- Stabilisation of any acutely unwell child
- Invasive and non-invasive ventilation
- Central line and surgical line insertion
- Chest tube insertion
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Haemofiltration and haemodialysis for kidney failure
- Total parenteral nutrition
- 24-hour access to MRI, CT scan and interventional radiology services
- Six bed spaces including one negative pressure isolation room
- The latest “smart” beds for optimal patient comfort, safety and recovery
- State-of-the-art ventilators and high-frequency ventilator (HFOV)
- Inhaled nitric oxide for pulmonary hypertension
- EEG to detect seizures and brain activity
- State of the art ultrasound machine for point of care ultrasound assessment
- Point of care blood gas analysis
- State of the art monitoring systems (blood pressure monitor, cardiopulmonary monitor, pulse oximeters etc.)
- Dedicated transport equipment for moving critically ill children within and outside the hospital
For more details please call us on 054 5815084
Mediclinic Airport Road Hospital is proud to announce the discharge, in good health, of its first Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU ) patient.