The donor is completely free to withdraw their consent to donate at ANY point of the donation process up to the actual surgery. This is a preserved right of the donor. Reasons for withdrawing consent are confidential and will never be shared by the transplant team with the recipient or family, unless directed by the donor.
What are the advantages of becoming a living donor?
- Recipient receives the kidney much sooner and can avoid years of waiting on dialysis
- Recipients usually have better short and long term outcomes because living donor kidneys last longer
- The surgery is scheduled at a time that is convenient for patients and their families
- The living donor has the advantage of time which allows for more thorough medical testing that helps provide a kidney of high quality for transplant
- The recipient will receive the donated kidney immediately after the donor surgery, limiting the time the kidney is cold, helping preserve its function and decreasing chances of complications