Anyone who has reached end stage kidney disease is eligible for transplant. There is no age minimum or maximum for transplant. Recipients should be healthy enough to withstand the transplant surgery, and the pre-transplant testing will assess the recipient's eligibility.
There are some contraindications to transplant and they include:
- Untreated, uncontrolled cancer
- Active systemic infections
- Any condition(s) with a life expectancy < 2 years
- Untreated cardiovascular disease
- Chronic respiratory dysfunction
Each individual case is different, and there could be some exceptions based on the potential recipient's state.