We are proud to announce the opening of a comprehensive Liver Clinic at Mediclinic Deira, now available for appointments every Sunday.
The Liver Clinic will provide diagnosis and management for all acute and chronic liver diseases including hepatitis, fatty liver, cirrhosis and cancer. Our team of experts in radiology, pathology, surgery and other specialities are led by Dr. George Alexander, Hepatologist, a certified liver specialist. He will collaborate closely with each specialist in order to tailor a care plan for every patient’s specific need. For more complex cases, they will meet together to pool their expertise to arrive at the best approach to your treatment.
- Counselling and education about liver problems so patients understand their infections and their treatment options. This includes lifestyle and behaviour modifications supported by nutrition counselling and an on-site pharmacy.
- Liver assessments and treatments using a combination of blood and lab work, imaging, and other diagnostic tools such as ultrasound, to determine each patient’s condition and choose a course of treatment. Imaging sometimes includes Fibroscan®, a liver scan, used to determine the stage of liver disease.
- Follow-up of post Liver Transplant patients
Are you at risk of developing liver problems?
Liver disease is known as a silent killer and most often the patients do not show any symptoms until the problems are already severe. That is why it is important to check with your Hepatologist regularly, in order to determine the issue and prevent it from progressing.
Factors that may increase your risk of liver disease include:
- Heavy alcohol or substance abuse
- Family history of liver disease or cancer
- Exposure to viruses
- Long term medications
- Other diseases which can affect the liver like Arthritis, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, etc.
Symptoms of liver disease:
The signs as well as symptoms of liver disease include:
- Appearance of yellowish shade under the eyes
- Skin turning yellowish
- Swelling in the abdomen accompanied with pain
- Visible swelling on ankles and legs
- Itchy skin
- Dark-coloured urine
- Pale, tar-coloured or bloody stools
- Constant vomiting or nausea
- Significant loss of appetite
- Easy bruising
For appointments and other information, call 800 1999 or email email@example.com.