Genetics is the future and the past. The history and the promise of every organism is written in its DNA.
Advances in genetics have made it possible to determine your risk of developing a hereditary disorder such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) or cancer. Prenatal tests also can detect inherited disorders and abnormalities, such as neural tube defects, Down syndrome, in-born errors of metabolism (IEM) or thalassemia in a developing fetus, or post-natally in a pediatric setting.
Our certified genetics counsellors and clinical geneticists help in diagnosing genetic conditions and in educating people about the risk of passing them to their offspring.
Integrating the most recent advances in genetic technologies with comprehensive and compassionate healthcare, we provide comprehensive genetic services including diagnosis, treatment, counselling and prevention of genetic conditions that include, but are not limited to:
- Preconception and prenatal genetic consultations for couples concerned about the risk of having children affected by a genetic disorder
- Medical genetics consultations for people who are concerned about their risk of having a genetic disorder based on their personal or family history
- Hereditary cancer risk assessments for individuals who may have a personal or family history of cancer
Genetic counsellors have advanced training in medical genetics and counselling to interpret genetic test results and to guide and support patients seeking more information about such things as:
- How inherited diseases and conditions might affect them or their families
- How family and medical histories may impact the chance of disease occurrence or recurrence
- Which genetic tests may or may not be right for them, and what those tests may or may not say
- How to make the most informed choices about healthcare conditions
Our clinical geneticists and genetic counsellors provide our patients with a continuum of care throughout their genetic diagnosis, testing and counselling process.
Above all, we emphasise close communication between our various team members, our patients and their significant relatives.