Paediatric physiotherapists specialise in movement, development and knowledge of conditions that are likely to affect the baby, growing child and teenager.
The physiotherapist’s treatment aim is to minimise the effects of physical impairment and promote optimal function and musculoskeletal development. Paediatric physiotherapists recognise the importance of working in partnership with the child, family and carers to maximise a child’s abilities and independence.
The paediatric physiotherapy service at Mediclinic Springs is provided for children aged 0 to 16 years old. Physiotherapy sessions are normally 45 minutes long and the frequency of sessions will be agreed after the initial assessment between the physiotherapist and parent.
The range of conditions treated include:
- Common musculoskeletal problems e.g. scoliosis, knee pain, ankle sprains
- Paediatric specific musculoskeletal conditions e.g. Sever’s disease, Osgood Schlatters disease, idiopathic toe walkers and Perthes
- Baby orthopaedic conditons e.g. torticollis, plagiocephaly, talipes, erbs palsy
- Post orthopaedic surgery
- Post trauma injuries e.g. fractures, ligament damage
- Post burns and plastic surgery
- Post hand surgery or hand trauma
- Rheumatological conditions e.g juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA), hypermobility
- Developmental delay i.e. children not meeting their physical milestones
- Ex pre-term babies
- Cerebral palsy
- Neurological syndromes and other genetic conditions
- Acquired brain injury and spinal injury
- Muscular dystrophy and spinal muscular atrophy
- Respiratory problems such as cystic fibrosis, asthma, chest infections and post-surgical
- Urinary incontinence