- Cancer detection and family screening
- Removal of large and complex colonic lesions
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Cohn’s and Ulcerative colitis)
- Abdominal pain and bloating
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Upper GI endoscopy (OGD)
- Treatment for oesophageal and gastric varices
- Dilatation of oesophageal and gastric strictures
- Injection and clipping of bleeding ulcers
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomies
- Investigation and management of anaemia
- Acute and chronic liver disease
- Gastroesophageal reflux and peptic ulcer disease
- Barrett’s oesophagus
- Coeliac disease and gluten intolerance
- Food intolerance
- Swallowing disorders
- Botox injections
- Bowel habit changes (diarrhoea/constipation)
- Extraction of foreign bodies
- Dr Sweeny Johal is a very experienced fully UK-trained award winning Consultant Gastroenterologist. He has two decades of experience in the field of Gastroenterology at Consultant level and has special interests in the field of advanced endoscopy, IBS, IBD and the holistic management of patients. He is accredited and certified from the Royal College of Physicians, UK and the British Society of Gastroenterology.
Dr Johal graduated from the University of Manchester in 1993 and completed his House Officer and Medical SHO rotation in Greater Manchester where he obtained his MRCP (UK) in 1996. He achieved his higher specialist qualifications in Gastroenterology through multiple centres of excellence including the Liver Transplant Unit at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in the UK, and then going on to complete his PhD at Nottingham University, UK in 2003. He also gained experience from an elective period at Vancouver General Hospital, Canada.
Dr Johal has been a full time practising Gastroenterologist at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals UK from 2004 to 2023. He is an advanced endoscopy trainer, developed IBD as well as IBS services and provides dedicated advanced colonoscopy therapeutic sessions. A key focus of his practice has been service provision, quality and ensuring that all key performance targets are achieved. For eleven years he was endoscopy and cancer lead. He has extensive experience in endoscopy, and has performed more than 6000 colonoscopies and 10,000 gastroscopies.
His clinical practice is multifaceted including endoscopy, cancer screening, functional bowel disease, liver disorders and advanced endoscopy. He has led in clinical governance, IBD, IBS and cancer services. He has authored multiple self –help books and lectures frequently on the Brain-Gut-Microbiota connection.
Dr Johal provides the highest quality, patient centred evidence based
clinical care to his patients based on over 35 years of training and clinical practice. He believes in empowering patients in all aspects of their clinical care.
Dr Johal will provide patient tailor made treatment plans based on international guidelines for your personal health journey. His approach is holistic, evidence based, clear and delivered with empathy.
- Aug 2006: FRCP, Royal College of Physicians, UK
Sep 2004: CCST, UK
Feb 2003: PhD, University of Nottingham, UK
Jul 1996: MRCP, Royal College of Physicians, UK
1988-1993: MB ChB, University of Manchester, UK