A gynaecologist is the specialist for the female sexual organs. He conducts regular preventative medical checkups, such as smear tests of the cervix (the mouth of the womb) and breast screening. The gynaecologist advises women of all ages on questions of contraception, infertility and problems with the menopause.
When dealing with disorders of the female sexual organs a gynaecologist conducts the appropriate tests and organises the appropriate treatment. They are able to make use of a variety of drugs or – if called for – surgical interventions. The gynaecologist who has had the appropriate surgical training can, for instance, carry out a hysterectomy (where the womb is removed).
An obstetrician is concerned with everything to do with pregnancy. They advise and examine future mothers during this period of their lives and are generally responsible for what goes on during birth. With the appropriate surgical training they can – if necessary – carry out a caesarean section. After the birth the obstetrician advises the mother after she has given birth, and addresses any other medical issues she may have.
At Mediclinic Deira, our obstetric services include:
- Pre-conception care and pregnancy diagnosis
- Routine antenatal screening programme
- External cephalic version
- Specialised investigations
- Ultrasound scanning/Fetal medicine
- Epidural anaesthesia
- Parentcraft classes
- Antenatal care
Our gynaecology services include all minor and open gynaecological procedures such as:
- Difibulation (correction of FGM)
- Surgical management of vulval and vaginal cysts/lesions
- Bartholin's abscess/cysts
- Cervical cerclage
- Abdominal hysterectomy +/- removal of ovaries
- Ovarian cystectomy
We also offer the following specialised services:
- Vaginal surgery and urogynaecology