Obesity is currently recognised as a real disease rather than a lifestyle issue. It affects our lives, our independence and extends to family members and people close to us. It plays a major role in our sugar levels (diabetes mellitus), lipid metabolism (hyperlipidemia) and cardio-vascular system.
At Mediclinic Airport Road Hospital, our Bariatric (Obesity) and Metabolic Centre is structured according the international best practice guidelines for the management of obesity. It provides a comprehensive programme that deals with all aspects of obesity. We deliver nutritional, metabolic and surgical services for the management of morbid obesity and uncontrolled weight gain.
The Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Centre is operated by a team of expert consultant surgeons and consultant physicians all with the highest levels of western certifications\qualifications along with experts in dietetics and other supporting services who will make sure that each patient receives highly specialised care that is tailored to their individual needs. The centre follows the most up-to-date international standards which will help our patients in getting the most appropriate treatment, may it be surgical or non-surgical, and is equipped with the latest equipment, instruments and technological innovations that enable us to perform hundreds of various types of obesity procedures annually with excellent outcomes.
The team is led by Professor Safwan Taha who is certified as “Master Surgeon in Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery” by the Surgical Review Corporation (USA). Prof. Taha is Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, Member of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons, Member of the International Federation for Surgeons of Obesity, Member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons and Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. He has vast experience in obesity surgery and the management of its complications.
Our Obesity Centre services include:
- Intra-gastric balloon insertion
- Laparoscopic gastric banding
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy
- One Anastomosis Gastric Bypass (also known as Mini Gastric Bypass\Omega Loop Bypass).
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass.
- Management of complications of obesity surgery (leak, obstruction, herniation, twist etc.)
- Revisional surgery (correction of failed obesity surgeries)
- Revisional bariatric procedures for weight regain
- Management of medical comorbidities of obesity
- Counselling before and after obesity surgery
- Multidisciplinary management by experienced consultants and specialists.
- Specialised dietetic center with expert dieticians.