- Laparoscopic bariatric surgery (sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass, mini bypass)
- Oesophageal and stomach cancer surgery
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery including fundoplication
- Heller’s cardiomyotomy for achalasia
- Repair of diaphragmatic hernia
- Repair of groin (inguinal, femoral) and ventral hernia (umbilical, epigastric, incisional, Spigelian) – laparoscopic and open methods
- General surgery including laparotomy, lumps and bumps, minor ano-rectal conditions like haemorrhoids, fissure, fistulae
- Upper and lower GI endoscopy
- Dr. Ashok has had experience of surgical training and practice in the United Kingdom since 1995. Prior to that he did his graduation and post-graduation in India. He has been working as a Consultant General, Laparoscopic, Upper GI Surgeon in the UK since 2005 after obtaining CCST. In 2005 he set up the advanced laparoscopic unit in Wigan, UK. He has experience of a vast range of general surgical procedures with special interests in Upper GI surgery with emphasis on advanced laparoscopic procedures including gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomies, and mini-bypass; radical oesophageal and gastric cancer surgery, cholecystectomy, hiatus hernia, achalasia, and body wall hernia. He also performs all routine operations/procedures including skin lumps and bumps, minor ano-rectal surgery and endoscopies.
He was the Lead for Upper GI Cancer Services at University Hospital Derby, UK. He has been a PEER reviewer for UK National Upper GI Cancer services. He was a special invitee to the All Party Parliamentary Group meeting at The House of Commons in Westminster, London. He has been extensively involved with NICE and has helped in drafting, approving and publishing 23 NICE Quality Standards Guidelines. He has published extensively in PEER reviewed national and international journals. His presentations have been awarded on various forums and he has presented at both national (UK) and international forums. He was the Audit lead and Chairman of Service Improvement Team (SIT) formerly for his hospital in UK.
Before moving to Dubai he served as Hon Assistant Professor in Surgery for Nottingham University, Senior Clinical Lecturer Birmingham University and Associate Professor for Granada University. He is an examiner the for Royal College of Surgeons, was a Royal College Tutor and has taught extensively to all level of surgical trainees. He has been involved in research projects supervising students and trainees and has been a surgical mentor for consultant colleagues in the UK. He has taught at international forums and laparoscopic surgical training programmes in the UK and has had an active interest in medico-legal work since 2010. He is regularly sought for his expert surgical opinion in the UK and from abroad.
- Languages spoken
- English, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Rajasthani, Punjabi
- MBBS , MS, MPhil, MFSTEd, PG Dip (Clin Edu), FRCSEd, FRCS(Gen.Surg)