Do you require a COVID-19 screening test? Perhaps you need one to return to the office or you are planning to travel.
What is a PCR test?
Also known as RT-PCR, it is a nasopharyngeal swab to collect specimen from a patient to test for the presence of 2019 Novel Coronavirus (SARS CoV-2), PCR Test is a form of Nucleic acid Amplification Technology.
What might I experience during the test?
Minor discomfort can be felt during the procedure including an urge to sneeze, cough, and teary eyes. However, all these symptoms will disappear immediately after sample collection.
How is the sample collected?
- The patient must be seated in a comfortable position with the head tilted back slightly to make the nasal passages more accessible.
- A flexible plastic stick with a synthetic fibre swab is gently inserted into one of the nostrils (in some cases samples are collected using both nostrils). The swab has to go quite far back along the passage that connects the base of the nose to the back of the throat.
- The swab is kept there for 10 – 15 seconds, while being rotated around to collect the sample accurately and adequately.
- Finally, the swab is removed slowly and gently and immediately placed in a special container to be sent for analysis in the laboratory.
- The whole process takes 30-40 seconds approximately.
How are the tests processed?
All samples are processed in our own molecular laboratory which means we can ensure high quality and swift turnaround times for results. To ensure the highest quality of results accuracy for customers, Mediclinic labs do not perform pool sampling.
Symptomatic or asymptomatic?
Different processes are followed with patients that present with symptoms and patients that have no symptoms, but wish to do the test for screening purposes.
For more information on how to access the service at the units please contact:
Dubai facilities: 8001999
Abu Dhabi, Al Ain and Al Dhafra: 8002000