The Headache Clinic at Mediclinic Welcare Hospital offers specialised care for patients experiencing headaches.
Headaches can be more complicated than most people realise. Different kinds of headaches can have their own sets of symptoms, happen for unique reasons, and require different kinds of treatment. Primary headache including migraine is a common disabling disorder worldwide in both males and females under the age of 50 years after backache, and greatly impacts patients’ quality of life, both personal and professional.
There are a lots of treatment options providing new hope for migraine patients. Despite this, 60% of individuals with migraine are still not professionally diagnosed.
What we treat
There are several different types of headaches, which are all diagnosed and treated by the Headache Clinic’s expert team. The most common headaches seen are:
- Tension-type headache: Patients may experience mild to moderate pain or severe headache, and usually have no other symptoms like nausea vomiting.
- Migraine: With this condition, patients experience intense headaches that are often described as pounding, throbbing pain. A migraine can last from four hours to three days, and can occur several times per month or more frequently. Related symptoms may include sensitivity to light, noise or smells, nausea, or vomiting.
- Cluster headache: This is an intense headache that feels like a piercing pain behind or around one eye. It is the least common, but the most severe, type of headache. Cluster headaches occur in clusters of four to twelve weeks, and then resolve until the next clustering occurs.
- The main goal of headache clinic are:
- Assess the patient and diagnose his type of headache
- Exclude a red-flag headache which suggest a serious underlying disorder
- Provided the patient with the latest and optimist evidence based medicine treatment including invasive and non-invasive modalities
Treatment of headache
Headache treatment depends on the type of headache diagnosed, the cause of headache, and how often it occurs. The headache specialist develops a treatment plan to meet each patient’s specific needs.
Treatment of migraine depends on number of attacks, severity of headache and how much disability it causes and based on that we have acute migraine treatment which includes simple pain medication and specific medication, such as Tryptans.
Prophylaxis treatment which prevents headache from occurring is given as course of six months or more. In this category are newer treatment options called Anti CGRP therapies which have very high efficacy with little or no side effects and also we have other modalities like Botox injection and neuromodulation.
Other options include further diagnostic testing, medication, behavioural modification, and/or keeping a diet and sleep history to help determine how lifestyle factors may be adjusted to reduce headaches.
At Mediclinic Welcare Hospital we do all these modalities of treatment to give best quality of life to patients with headache.