Colorectal surgery includes surgery for disorders of the large and small intestine, rectum and anal canal.
The main colorectal conditions that require surgery are:
- Cancer of the colon, rectum and anal canal
- Diverticular disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn’s disease
- Anal conditions such as haemorrhoids (piles), fissures or fistulae
Colorectal problems most often present with the following symptoms:
- Bleeding from the back passage
- Recent alteration of bowel habits
- Passage of mucus from the back passage
- Loss of weight and appetite
Commonly performed colorectal surgeries include:
- Right or left hemicolectomy – for cancers or other problems in the right or left colon
- Sigmoid colectomy – for cancers, diverticular disease or other problems in the sigmoid colon
- Anterior resection – mostly for cancer of the upper rectum
- Abdominoperineal resection – mainly for cancer of the lower rectum or anal canal
- Anal surgeries for haemorrhoids, fissures and fistulae
Mediclinic City Hospital has specialists with the expertise to perform all of the colorectal surgeries mentioned above. Our specialists are able to perform most of these surgeries through a minimal invasive approach using laparoscopic surgery. This helps patients to recover faster, spend fewer days in hospital and return earlier to work and normal function.
All patients with colorectal cancers are discussed at the gastrointestinal cancer multidisciplinary team (MDT) meeting every week at the Mediclinic City Hospital Comprehensive Cancer Centre. This is Dubai’s most advanced facility for cancer diagnosis and treatment, providing the only gated radiotherapy service in the private sector, along with medical and surgical oncology, radiology, nuclear medicine (diagnostic and therapeutic service including PET & SPECT CT, automated injector/FDG) and reference laboratory.