Gastrointestinal surgery is a speciality that deals with disorders of the gastrointestinal and hepato-pancreato-biliary systems.
Gastrointestinal surgery covers a wide spectrum of subspecialities which include the following:
- Upper gastrointestinal surgery including bariatric surgery
- Hepato-pancreato-biliary surgery
- Colorectal surgery
- Proctology and Pelvic floor diseases
Mediclinic City Hospital’s Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery has internationally qualified surgeons experienced in performing all major surgeries of the GI tract including surgeries for gastrointestinal cancers.
The Gastrointestinal Surgery team works closely with other specialists such as medical gastroenterologists, medical oncologists, radiologists and pathologists to ensure that the patient gets the highest level of international standard and according to internationally accepted guidelines and protocols.
All patients with gastrointestinal cancers are discussed weekly at the only gastrointestinal cancer multidisciplinary team meeting in Dubai, which is conducted at the Mediclinic City Hospital Comprehensive Cancer Centre. This is Dubai’s most advanced facility for cancer diagnosis and treatment, providing the only gated radiotherapy service in the private sector, along with medical and surgical oncology, radiology, nuclear medicine (diagnostic and therapeutic service including PET & SPECT CT, automated injector/FDG) and reference laboratory.
The Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery has the expertise to perform major cancer surgeries such as:
- Surgery for oesophageal cancer
- Surgery for gastric cancer
- Surgery for liver cancer
- Surgery for gallbladder cancer
- Surgery for pancreatic cancer
- Surgery for colon cancer
- Surgery for rectal cancer
The team is experienced in performing many major gastrointestinal surgeries by the minimally invasive route, in the form of laparoscopic surgery. This includes procedures such as:
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic Nissen’s fundoplication
- Laparoscopic gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic pancreatic resection
- Laparoscopic splenectomy
- Laparoscopic appendicectomy
- Laparoscopic colon resection
- Laparoscopic anterior resection