HPB surgery includes surgery for disorders of the liver, gallbladder, bile duct and pancreas.
The main HPB conditions that require surgery include:
- Gallstones (stones in the gallbladder) and common bile duct stones
- Cancers & other tumours of the liver, gallbladder, bile ducts or the pancreas
- Acute and chronic pancreatitis
- Cirrhosis and portal hypertension
HPB conditions present most commonly with the following symptoms:
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of weight or appetite
- Lump in the abdomen
Commonly performed surgeries for the HPB system are as follows:
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy – for gallstones
- Liver resection – right or left hepatectomy – mainly for cancers or injury to liver
- Pancreatic resection – Whipple’s operation, distal pancreatectomy – for cancers of the pancreas
- Surgery for bile duct cancers
- Surgery for acute and chronic pancreatitis
Hepato-pancreato-biliary surgery needs a large multidisciplinary team of specialists to work together to manage these complex problems in an efficient manner. Mediclinic City Hospital has specialists with the expertise to work together and perform all of the HPB surgeries mentioned above.
Our specialists have a large experience in performing keyhole surgeries for gallbladder stones. This is known as laparoscopic cholecystectomy. The keyhole approach for gallbladder surgery helps patients to recover faster, spend fewer days in hospital and facilitates early return to work and normal function.
All patients with cancers of the HPB system are discussed at the gastrointestinal cancer multidisciplinary team (MDT) Meeting every week at the Mediclinic City Hospital Comprehensive Cancer Centre. This is Dubai’s most advanced facility for cancer diagnosis and treatment, providing the only gated radiotherapy service in the private sector, along with medical and surgical oncology, radiology, nuclear medicine (diagnostic and therapeutic service including PET & SPECT CT, automated injector/FDG) and reference laboratory.