- Gynaecological oncology is a branch of medicine which diagnoses and treats cancers that are located on a woman’s reproductive organs, including cervical, endometrial, ovarian, and vaginal and vulvar.
Gynaecological oncologists have completed obstetrics and gynaecology residency training and then pursued subspecialty training through a gynaecological oncology fellowship. Gynaecological oncologists can offer optimal care of women with a Gynaecological cancer, as well as conduct screenings for gynaecological cancer, manage pre-malignant gynaecological diseases as well as complex gynaecological cases such as endometriosis, fibroids and pelvic masses.
Gynaecological cancers are complex and treatment often involves multiple modalities such as surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. A gynaecological oncologist is specially trained to diagnose and treat these types of cancers, as well as premalignant conditions that lead to gynaecological cancer. They see women with gynaecological cancers every day, and have developed the skills and judgment required to perform procedures on the reproductive system.
- Mediclinic Parkview Hospital offers an integrated, multidisciplinary approach for every cancer patient. For those suffering from gynaecological cancers in particular, our team understands that body image issues, sexual function issues, menopause symptoms and emotional distress can all impact a patient’s quality of life. Women should have a team that can address these concerns, with an understanding of the whole patient.
- Dr. Alphy S. Puthiyidom is a gynaecologist with expertise in advanced and complex laparoscopic Surgery, pelvic reconstructive and Urogynaecology surgery. She is known in the UAE and India for her excellence in this field. She is often contacted as a tertiary referral for difficult surgical cases.
- She has performed more than 8000 advanced minimally invasive (keyhole) laparoscopic and hysteroscopy procedures in these years. Her expertise is mainly in handling difficult procedures like laparoscopy in severe and recurrent endometriosis, removal of large and multiple fibroids, laparoscopic repair of prolapse uterus. She holds professional memberships with American Association of Gynaecologic Laparoscopists, European Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy, European Urogynaecology Association, European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology.
The Comprehensive Cancer Centre practises a multidisciplinary approach to treating cancers which encompasses tumour boards of various medical disciplines, including surgeons, oncologists, radiation oncologists, consultants and specialist’s doctors, all of whom, together, will decide on a personalised course of treatment, following accepted and recognised international guidelines.
- All types of advanced laparoscopic and hysteroscopy surgery
- Endometriosis and chronic pelvic pain
- Laparoscopic surgery in severe endometriosis and adenomyosis
- Laparoscopic excision of bowel, bladder and rectovaginal endometriosis
- Managing complex gynaecological cases of endometriosis and fibroids
- Managing cancers of the uterus, ovaries, cervix and vulva.
- Gynaecological screening for patients with breast cancer
- Investigations: image guided biopsies, MRI, CT, PET-CT, histopathology
- Fertility sparing surgery where appropriate
- Minimal access surgery (laparoscopic)
- Sentinel nodes
- Radical surgery
- Radiotherapy including external beam radiotherapy and brachytherapy (service provided at Mediclinic City Hospital)