The Nephrology Department at Mediclinic Parkview Hospital is led by a highly qualified multidisciplinary team including consultant nephrologists, experienced nurses trained in the care of dialysis patients, dieticians, a vascular surgeon and other trained ancillary staff.
Scope of services:
We treat a large variety of disorders including:
- Diabetic kidney disease
- High blood pressure with the ability to perform 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring when needed
- Early detection, prevention and treatment of chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- End stage renal disease (chronic kidney failure)
- Acute kidney failure
- Continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) in ICU
- Pre-kidney transplant evaluation for recipients and donors
- Post-kidney transplant care
- Kidney stones (medical treatment and prevention) with referral to urologist if surgical intervention is needed
- Electrolytes disturbance such as low sodium and low potassium
- Evaluation and treatment for acute and chronic glomerulonephritis with ability to perform a kidney biopsy when needed
- Dialysis vascular access evaluation and insertion of dialysis catheter
- Referral to vascular surgeon for creation of dialysis vascular access (AV fistula and AV graft)
Patients should consult nephrologists if they have any of the above condition or if they have symptoms such as high blood pressure, swelling of the legs, blood or protein in the urine, foam in the urine, side lower back pain or flank pain, burning sensation while passing urine and difficulty in passing urine or the urine amount is little.
Sometimes patients are referred to a nephrologist by primary care physicians for abnormalities detected in their urine or blood tests or in the imaging studies such as Ultrasound or CT SCAN.
Dialysis treatment at Mediclinic Parkview Hospital
More than 1600 people suffer from end stage renal disease (kidney failure) in the UAE and the number is increasing annually. Other than a transplant, dialysis is the best option for managing this condition.
Haemodialysis is a procedure where the patient’s blood is passed through a filter in the dialysis machine which acts as an artificial kidney. The filter removes the waste products and extra fluids from the blood and the machine pumps back clean blood into the patient’s blood stream.
Outpatient dialysis unit at Mediclinic Parkview Hospital
Haemodialysis is more than just a use of a dialysis machine. To make dialysis treatment effective and safe, the Mediclinic Parkview Hospital Dialysis Unit employs a multidisciplinary team to provide personalised, tailored care. Renal replacement therapy is based entirely on analysis of the patient’s history and diagnostic tests, and the treatment plan is prepared with particular focus on lifestyle changes, especially with a strict adherence to the haemodialysis schedule, medications, fluid as well as dietary restrictions.
With eight dialysis stations and brand new dialysis machines, our unit is designed to handle the care of chronic and acute patients requiring dialysis. The outpatient dialysis service allows seamless care for patients who require constant assessment by our consultant nephrologist and other subspecialities. Each patient will have a separate area provided with a comfortable full function hospital bed, state of the art dialysis machine with excellent filters and other consumables to provide safe and excellent quality dialysis. There are a big screen TVs with many channels, a computer with EMR and a sink in each area. There is a strict infection control policy to prevent infections or transmission of infections among patients. There is an excellent water purification system to provide excellent quality water free of bacteria, endotoxins and chemicals.
Our services include:
- Daily round by our consultant nephrologist, so each patient has the opportunity for a comprehensive review of his condition
- Monthly multidisciplinary team review with review of the monthly lab results, and adjustment in the dialysis prescription and medications when necessary
- On site dietician consultation
- Regular patient education regarding dialysis and management of fluid, electrolytes and nutritional issues
- Yearly evaluation and appropriate referral for a kidney transplantation
Inpatient dialysis service at Mediclinic Parkview Hospital
Patients who are admitted to the hospital will have haemodialysis either at the dialysis unit or in ICU depending on their clinical condition. We provide continuous renal replacement therapy for those patients who are admitted to ICU, have acute kidney failure and are unstable at the same time.
Nephrologist at Mediclinic Parkview Hospital
Dr. Zafer Husami is a highly qualified consultant nephrologist with 25 years of experience in this particular field. Dr. Zafer is American Board certified in Internal Medicine and Nephrology who has practised in Nephrology and Hypertension for more than 12 years in Michigan, USA, four years in Syria and six years in the UAE. Dr. Zafer is able to take care of all cases related to Nephrology with special interests in high blood pressure (diagnosis and treatment), acute and chronic kidney failure, diabetic kidney disease, dialysis, kidney transplant and medical treatment and prevention of recurrent kidney stones.