Expectant mothers now have the opportunity to labour and give birth in the tranquil environment of Mediclinic Parkview Hospital’s new water birth pool. We understand that the more relaxed, secure and in control you feel, and the more able you are to move about freely, the more likely it is that you will have a fulfilling birthing experience.
For some women, a birthing pool can offer all these benefits. Please talk to our maternity manager and your own obstetrician if you are interested in using water for your labour and/or birth.
Labouring In Water
There are many benefits to labouring and giving birth in water. These include:
- Feelings of being in control
- A more enjoyable labour experience
- Less painful contractions
- A more gentle birth for the baby
- Less need for analgesia (pain relief) such as pethidine or epidurals. Less need for drugs that accelerate labour such as oxytocin
- Water helps to relax the pelvic floor muscles and soften the perineum (the skin between the vagina and the anus) thus reducing the risk of tearing
- The relaxing effect of warm water helps produce endorphins – promoting natural pain relief. A birthing pool supports 75% of a labouring woman’s weight, allowing the woman to feel buoyant and comfortable. Mobility is easier, thus conserving a woman’s energy
- Breastfeeding can be encouraged immediately
Can i give birth in water?
Research suggests that for healthy women with uncomplicated pregnancies and at full term (after 37 weeks gestation), using the water for labour and birth is as safe as for land birth. Healthy babies who cope well with labour can be born in the pool will not breathe until they are brought to the surface into air. If your midwife or doctor has concerns that your baby is compromised during labour, you will be advised not to birth in the pool.
For further information, please call us on 8001999