The Fetal Medicine service at Mediclinic Airport Road Hospital offers a range of diagnostic scans for normal and high risk pregnancies, as well as other prenatal invasive tests and procedures.
- Level 3 advanced obstetric ultrasound for low and high risk pregnancies including twins and high order multiple pregnancies. This is typically conducted between 19-22 weeks gestation, although it can be performed at any time after 19 weeks
- 3D/4D ultrasound scans
- First trimester markers such as nuchal translucency, nasal bone, tricuspid regurgitation, ductus venosus doppler
- Fetal echocardiography
- Prenatal doppler including, but not limited to, umbilical artery, middle vertebral artery, ductus venosus, umbilical vein
- Fetal biophysical profile
- Cervical assessment
- Gynaecological scans
- Non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT), first and second trimester assessment for aneuploidies (organised through external agencies)
- Multidisciplinary counselling by a perinatologist and/or or other paediatric specialists as required
- Prenatal genetic counselling for genetic diseases
- Diagnostic procedures:
- Chorionic villus sampling
- Therapeutic fetal interventions (after 28 weeks gestation)
- Cephalocentesis, vesicocentesis and pleurocentesis.
Follow-up of patients of the Fetal Medicine unit is undertaken for the whole pregnancy, including intrapartum care.
Clinic timings and contact information:
Saturday to Tuesday - 8am to 5pm
Wednesday - 12 noon to 9pm
Note: Patient reports will be directly sent to the referring physician and the hospital Medical Records Department by either email/printout on the day of the scan.