Our scope of services includes well baby checking with prevention, diagnosis and treatment of different paediatric diseases. The Paediatric department deals with a wide range of diseases as well as the full range of vaccinations for infants, children and adolescents.
The Paediatric department in Mediclinic Airport Road Hospital has several paediatricians (consultants and specialists) with a variety of interests in pediatric subspecialities. We provide outpatient service in the ground floor clinics as well as inpatient ward in the second floor which accommodates 20 beds for admissions.
- Routine babies and children wellbeing checkups with assessment of growth and development.
- Full range of national immunisation program vaccines for all children and adolescents with other extra recommended vaccines.
- Preventions and treatment of all respiratory diseases including treatment and control of asthma.
- Preventions and treatment of gastrointestinal disease and dehydration.
- Assessment, prevention and treatment of nutritional problems like obesity and malnutrition.
- Treatment of kidney disorders and urinary tract infection and nephritic syndrome.
- Treatment of different neurological diseases like meningitis, encephalitis as well as treatment and control of epilepsy.
- Treatment of different dermatological diseases like infections, seborrhic and atopic dermatitis with other allergic skin diseases.
- Treatment of diseases of ears, nose and throat as well as treatment of acute sinusitis and rhinitis.
The Neonatal Intensive care Unit (NICU) provides health care services for newborn babies until 28 days of life, starting at 28 weeks of gestation. The unit may receive babies of lower gestational ages as per the doctor’s order. It comprises of 10 Neonatal Intensive Care beds, one Isolation bed and four neonatal high dependency beds (SCBU). It provides comprehensive medical treatment and nursing care for newborns requiring a high level of care, constant supervision and monitoring.
Procedures used include:
- INSURE (Intubation Surfactant Extubation)
- Non Invasive Ventilation (Sipap,BCPAP,Optiflow,Hi Flow)
- Central Line Umbilical Venous and arterial
- PICC (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter)
- Cranial Ultrasound by consultant
- Echcardiogram, when needed, by paediatric cardiologist
- Chest tube Insertion
- Intravenous Access and Maintenance
- Hemodynamic Monitoring
- Exchange Transfusion
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
- Ventilator Support includes High Frequency Ventilation
- Oxygen Saturation Monitoring
- Promoting of Breastfeeding and lactation assistance /device
Newborn Screening (CCHD, Metabolic Screening, Hearing Screening) as per Department of Health.
The Paediatric Cardiology department at Mediclinic Airport Road Hospital provides careful and responsive treatments for your child's overall heart condition, diagnosing and treating chronic heart and blood vessel problems in children.
Our paediatric cardiologists use leading technology and advanced tests such as an echo cardiogram (an ultrasound of the heart), 24-hour Holter monitors and exercise testing to detect abnormal heart rhythms, in addition to lab tests and imaging studies that include prenatal cardiac evaluation. Together, these methods guide your physician towards the correct method of treatment for your child’s long term health.
Your child’s cardioactive health is crucial. The heart pumps the blood around the body, allowing it to do its job providing the oxygen and nutrients to the different organs and taking away and disposing waste and carbon dioxide. If there is a problem with heart (cardiac) function, there may not be enough oxygen or nutrients reaching the organs, which can affect your child’s growth and development, and in some cases may lead to death.
A paediatric cardiologist usually becomes involved in your child’s treatment after a general paediatrician has requested an evaluation of a certain patient. This may happen if the primary doctor is suspecting a heart condition due to the history or physical examination findings. Patients may come directly to the paediatric cardiologist, however, in the following situations:
- Known or suspected heart disorders such as congenital heart disease, cardiomyopathy, arrhythmia
- Chest pain
- High cholesterol/lipid disorders
Mediclinic Airport Road Hospital provides the only Paediatric Gastroenterology specialist service in Abu Dhabi’s private sector, delivered by a DOH licensed consultant paediatric gastroenterologist. The Department of Paediatric Gastroenterology offers comprehensive outpatient and inpatient services for children with gastrointestinal diseases, liver disorders and nutritional issues.
A wide range of gastrointestinal investigations are available including blood tests, stool tests and breath tests. Both diagnostic and therapeutic treatment including upper and lower gastrointestinal endoscopy, are available.
Conditions that can be assessed and managed include:
- Recurrent abdominal pain
- Recurrent vomiting
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux (GOR)
- Vomiting blood (haematemesis)
- Celiac disease
- Ingestion of foreign bodies
- Blood in stools (melena)
- Allergic bowel disorders
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Failure to thrive
- Feeding issues
- Endoscopic services offered include:
- Diagnostic upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and colonoscopy
- Management of upper and lower gastrointestinal bleeding
- Foreign body removal
- PEG insertion (insertion of a tube into stomach endoscopically)
The Paediatric Neurology department is a multidisciplinary unit which includes physical therapists, occupational therapists and speech therapists to provide the most comprehensive level of care for all patients:
- Spasticity clinic for children with cerebral palsy
- Management of childhood headaches
- Learning disabilities
- Neuro-developmental disorders
- Neuro-metabolic and neuro-genetic disorders
- Neuro-oncology (tumours)
- Neuro-muscular disorders (myopathies, myasthenia gravis etc.)
- Neurocutaneous diseases (neurofibromatosis, tuberous sclerosis etc.)
- Spina bifida
- Diagnostic imaging of the brain, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computerised tomography (CT), with the collaboration with the Department of Radiology.
It offers comprehensive evaluation and treatment of disorders of the nervous system in children, especially children with epilepsy, including:
- Daily neurological consultations
- Video/EEG monitoring
- EMU (EEG Monitoring Unit): Prolonged video EEG monitoring (24h-36h): 4 cases/month
- Medical treatment as well as Ketogenic diet, valgus nerve stimulation for uncontrolled epileptic seizure disorders
- Patient counselling
- Emergency coverage
Pediatric surgery is a subspecialty of surgery involving surgery of foetuses, infants, children, adolescents,and young adults.
Common paediatric diseases that may require pediatric surgery include:
- Cleft lip and palate
- Esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula
- Hypertrophic pyloric stenosis
- Intestinal atresia
- Necrotizing enterocolitis
- Meconium plugs
- Hirschsprung's disease
- Imperforate anus
- Undescended testes
- Congenital diseases of the lung
- Emphysemas, congenital cysts of the lung and mediastinum
Abdominal wall defects
Chest wall deformities
- Pectus excavatum
- Wilms' tumor
- Liver tumors